Collagen is a protein that the body naturally produces, and its main role is to provide strength and structure within every connective tissue throughout the body. It also gives strength and elasticity to the skin and is what makes our skin supple and plump. Our hair also needs collagen to gain strength and elasticity.
There are two types of collagen:
- Endogenous collagen, which is natural and made in our bodies
- Exogenous collagen, which is synthetic and comes from an outside source, such as supplements
As we age, our body produces less collagen and the tissue changes from a tightly organized network of fibers to an unorganized maze. This results in some visible signs of aging, such as wrinkles and loose, sagging skin. Environmental exposures such as to UV light can also damage collagen fibers, reducing their thickness and strength, leading to wrinkles.
How can we boost collagen production?
It’s no secret that our diet plays a significant role in the appearance and youthfulness of our skin. The foods you eat can help your body produce more collagen.
Here are a few collagen-boosting foods that can help:
- Beef Bone Broth: You can use bone broth in place of standard broth in soups and stews to boost the nutrient content. You can also enjoy it solo, sipped as a hot beverage.
- Eggs: Egg whites are high in the particular amino acids (glycine and proline) that are essential for collagen production.
- Berries: Berries are rich in vitamin C, which is a nutrient that helps our bodies build collagen. Vitamin C plays a major role in the production of pro-collagen, which is the body’s precursor to collagen. Therefore, getting enough Vitamin C is critical.
- Fish: Fish collagen is concentrated in the bones, skin, and scales of the fish. Nutritionists have found that marine collagen is one of the most easily absorbed forms of collagen and is highly recommended. Fish such as sardines are ideal because you consume the bones as well as the meat.
While consuming whole foods gives you the most nutritional benefits, supplements can help you get the specific nutrients that you need. Collagen supplements can be helpful to anyone wanting a boost, but they can be especially beneficial for those following a vegan diet.
Some supplements are specifically formulated to address a challenge. One such supplement is Nutrafol. Nutrafol is a collagen-infused supplement that provides targeted support for thinning hair, which is a common sign of aging. It is also formulated with Vitamin E, which not only promotes the growth and nourishment of hair but also helps clear up your skin.
Unlike other multi-benefit collagen products on the market, Nutrafol focuses solely on the essential elements of hair and scalp health and replenishes collagen levels from within.
Ultherapy is a non-invasive treatment that uses ultrasound energy to stimulate collagen production. It is used to tighten and uplift skin around the eyes, cheeks, jawline, mouth, and neck. These areas typically have more wrinkles or begin to sag over time based on the movements of your face.
The ultrasound waves target the same layers of tissue that are targeted during a surgical facelift, which is why this is one of our favorite treatments! These targeted waves stimulate the same parts of the cell that makes collagen. This energy stimulates the cells to make more collagen, which tightens and lifts skin naturally, thus giving you a more believable result. It does this without disrupting or cutting the surface of your skin, so there is no downtime needed. Full results for Ultherapy are seen in about 4-6 months.
Biostimulatory Cosmetic Fillers
Cosmetic fillers have biostimulatory components that boost collagen production in addition to adding volume. Results include:
- Reduced wrinkles
- Improved skin contours
- Filled-out depressions
- Improved appearance of scars
Dr. Jennfier Levine offers a wide range of collagen fillers that work to combat signs of aging to give a rejuvenating and youthful look. Sculptra® is a filler consisting of lactic acid, which helps replace lost collagen over time. As a result, it can add volume and is often used in a non-surgical butt lift.
RADIESSE® is another example of a filler that prompts your body to produce more collagen and rejuvenate your look. RADIESSE® is used to treat signs of aging such as nasolabial folds, lines between your nose and the corner of your mouth and puffy bags underneath your eyes.
If you are looking for ways to reverse signs of aging in a significant but believable way, call 646.362.5245 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Levine.