When buccal fat removal in NYC was made popular again by social media, Dr. Jennifer Levine shared her thoughts with Allure on how to best use this surgical procedure to achieve a no-filter, contoured appearance.
What is Buccal Fat Removal?
Buccal fat removal, also known as cheek reduction surgery, is a minimally invasive cosmetic procedure designed to thin the cheeks by removing excess fat from the buccal fat pad. This fat pad is located in the middle part of the cheek, and its removal can result in a more contoured and refined appearance.
Are There Non-Surgical Alternatives to Buccal Fat Removal?
The buccal fat pad is notably stubborn, often resisting the efforts of diet and exercise. While there’s no non-surgical method that can replicate the exact results of buccal fat removal, several non-invasive face contouring treatments can lessen cheek fullness and bring a more harmonized look to your facial features:
- Dermal Fillers: These can create the illusion of more sculpted cheeks, downplaying the prominence of the buccal fat pads.
- Evoke and Emface: These non-surgical treatments harness the power of radiofrequency and electromagnetic stimulation (Emface) to lift and tighten facial tissue, offering a more defined look. While Evoke reduces fat in the lower cheeks and submental area (double chin), it is most effectively used in combination with the buccal fat removal surgery, not as a replacement for it.
Is Kybella a Non-Surgical Alternative to Buccal Fat Removal?
Patients often ask if the fat-dissolving Kybella injectable is a good non-surgical alternative to buccal fat removal surgery and the answer is no. Cheeks are a nerve-rich region. Since Kybella cannot distinguish between the fat we want removed and myelin – the fat that protects our nerves – using Kybella in the cheek region can negatively impact the nerves and is not recommended.
Best Combination Treatments with Buccal Fat Excision in NYC
Combining buccal fat excision with other treatments may be recommended to some patients in order to create results that look natural and complete. Some popular synergy treatments include:
- Facelift + Neck Lift: A facelift, combined with the sculpting effect of buccal fat removal, can rejuvenate the face, addressing sagging skin and providing an overall tighter and more refined appearance. The buccal fat pad can be removed when performing a deep plane facelift, which is often also coupled with a neck lift.
- Chin Augmentation: Enhancing the chin either with a surgical chin implant or cosmetic filler can create a more contoured look and balance facial proportions.
- Jawline Contouring with Fillers: Cosmetic fillers and biostimulatory injectables – such as VOLUX and Radiesse(+), which are specifically formulated to contour the jawline – can further contour the face.
- Skin Tightening Treatments: Non-surgical treatments like Ultherapy, Evoke, and Emface can complement buccal fat removal by adding volume to the cheeks and lifting the jowls (Ultherapy, Emface), while further contouring the jawline and reducing submental fat (Evoke), which completed the facial contouring look.
Choosing a Top Facial Plastic Surgeon in NYC
- Board Certification: While checking a surgeon’s credential is a crucial step, it’s also important to understand the meaning of their certification as your results will depend on it.
Dr. Jennifer Levine is a double board-certified facial plastic surgeon in NYC, globally recognized for her delivery of results that look natural. Dr. Levine has over 20 years of surgical experience specifically on the face, making her an expert in facial anatomy. Expertise in facial anatomy and an artistic eye is an important distinction you want to consider.
- Experience with Buccal Fat Removal: The more well-versed a surgeon is in buccal fat removal, the better.
- Consultation Process: Dr. Levine offers 3D consultations, which allow you to ‘preview’ your results using the 3D renderings of your photos. With extensive tech advancements in facial plastic surgery, your consultation should make you feel comfortable not only with the doctor, but with the results you can expect to see.
- Reputation and Reviews: Aim for surgeons who boast positive reviews across multiple platforms, have patient testimonials you can relate to and are active participants in the world of aesthetics.
Dr. Levine regularly trains colleagues nationwide and internally on optimal surgical and non-surgical techniques to minimize complications and deliver results that look natural. Her award-winning research and ability to masterfully manage the most complicated of cases is to the benefit of her patients.
Book your buccal fat removal consultation today with award-winning facial plastic surgeon, Dr. Jennifer Levine, by calling 347.960.4909.