Blepharoplasty surgery: Tips for a speedy recovery after eyelid lift cosmetic procedure
Blepharoplasty, more popularly known as eyelid lift surgery, is a cosmetic procedure that improves the appearance of saggy and droopy eyelids. It is designed to safely remove the excess skin and fat tissues of the eyelids to improve droopy upper eyelids and any bags under the eyes. It can effectively reduce wrinkles surrounding the eyes and gives your eyes a more youthful appearance. The eyelid lift cosmetic procedure may take over 2 hours to complete, and the downtime is usually 5-10 days.
Following are a few tips for a quick recovery after eyelid lift surgery:
- After the surgery, patients may feel some soreness and discomfort around their eyes, which can be manageable by using pain medication prescribed by your doctor.
- Patients may experience blurry vision for a few days after the surgery. Make sure to use the prescribed eye drops or antibiotic ointment to keep your eyes from becoming dry for 24-48 hours following the surgery.
- Patients are recommended to avoid any activities that require eyes to concentrate. Activities like watching TV, using a computer, or reading a book, which may cause more discomfort in the eyes. It is best to give your eyes complete rest and take frequent naps for a few days after the surgery for quick recovery.
- Patients may also experience some swelling and bruising around the eyes after the procedure. It is recommended to use ice packs or cold compression to alleviate swelling and discomfort around the eyes.
- Patients are also recommended to keep their head elevated and avoid bending or any activity that may require lowering their head. It is recommended to use several pillows to sleep in an elevated position to prevent fluids from accumulating and reducing swelling.
- Patients usually experience some tightness in their eyes for a few days following the procedure. Therefore, during the first two weeks, patients are recommended to wear dark sunglasses to protect their eyes from wind and UV damage.
- It is recommended for patients to avoid wearing any eye makeup for a few weeks during the recovery period. Using makeup products may cause irritation or an allergic reaction which may cause complications. You can start using makeup after 2 weeks of the procedure as prescribed by your doctor.
- During the recovery period, patients are also asked to avoid smoking for a few weeks as it may slow down the recovery process.
- During the first 2-3 days, patients should avoid washing their face while taking a bath or shower to prevent surgical incisions from being wet. After 3-7 days, patients can start gently washing their eyes with water.
- Scabs may appear at the incisions during the first week as the eyes begin to heal after the surgery. It’s important to avoid pulling the scabs and letting them fall off as natural healing occurs.
Patients may need to visit the doctor 7-10 days after the procedure for sutures removal if they are not self-dissolvable. You can expect primary recovery within two weeks of the surgery. However, a full recovery may take longer as the results may take over a month to settle completely. Meanwhile, patients can resume their normal routine after 14 days in most cases.
If you are considering getting an eyelid lift surgery, you can schedule a consultation with our experienced blepharoplasty surgeons in NY to know more.